Monday, October 17, 2016

My Walk4ALZ Expericence Recap!

Mindful Monday KNOWSY Readers, and what is on my mind? Hmmm, let me see, could it possibly be the Walk4ALZ event held this past Saturday, October 15th in San Diego, CA., at Balboa Park? Well of course! This worthwhile cause was supported by several thousand people who came together to honor many of their family, friends and loved ones who are living through this condition or have already lost someone to this dreaded disease.


For those of you who are regular readers of my blog already know this disease has touched me and my family deeply, with my own Mother passing away over three years ago.
The last few posts I have written have been sharing with you this event as well as my personal page with Walk4ALZ     http://alzsd.akaraisin.com/walk4alz2016/mariavictoriaorlando




As you can imagine, I took some photos and recorded Facebook Live Videos on that day, before, during and at the end of this Walk. The following selfie was taken before the event, holding a card, which anyone participating could fill out with the name of the their loved one, answering the phrase: "My reason 4 walking is.....", these cards then were clipped to a "Memory Wall", my own as well.




The first video (7:06) I recorded on Facebook Live for my Facebook Page, Maravick KNOWS was taken when the various teams were setting up their tables early in the morning, prior to the event.
https://www.facebook.com/maravickknows/videos/684330391725898/




The following photo is the Union Bank Team (Not all team members were present), the members photographed are: Front Row, kneeling: Rose Adams, Captain (my sister), Back Row: Liz Hill, Joe Adams (my sister's son/my nephew), myself, Maria-Victoria Orlando, and Yukari Lingo



The second video (8:40) was the Welcome Speech and Presentation of Top Teams, of which my own sister, Rose Adams (captain of Union Bank Team) was also presented!
https://www.facebook.com/mariavictoria.orlando/videos/10208533739955664/




The third Facebook Live video (0:56) was at the Start of the walkathon:
https://www.facebook.com/mariavictoria.orlando/videos/10208533889799410/




The fourth and final Facebook Live video (0:37) was at the end/Finish of the walkathon:
https://www.facebook.com/mariavictoria.orlando/videos/10208534358251121/




Alright my KNOWSY Readers, I cannot tell you how much participating in this event this year meant to me, to join my sister and her team and all the other fellow walkers to honor those loved ones who are living through this, as well as those who want to keep the memory of their loved ones alive. I pray that those of you who are going through this find the support you need via the resources such as ALZSD.org, as well as all other national and local organizations. The more we all help raise awareness, the more resources that will become available and assistance given to those suffering with this disease as well as their caregivers, who often times are family members, that must make tough decisions daily in regards to balancing caregiving with personal and professional obligations. 
May all our efforts combined further the continued studies and research in finding a cure in hopefully the very near future.

No comments: